The name for this pack, Tilted, came from an album by Bob Mould's band Sugar. It's a musical reference to a period in my life when I was dirt poor, climbing 180 days a year and everything I owned fit in two duffle bags. I spent my summers guiding and climbing in the Sierra's. The backcountry from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite was home. In the fall I moved back to Bozeman, MT to climb ice all winter in Hylite and Pine Creek canyons. I lived on less than $5000 a year then. I had one small pack, an original Wild Things Ice Sac, which had to work for almost everything and a huge pack I had built for guiding. That Ice Sac lasted me for years.
This pack is my answer for those who want an Alpine Luddites pack, but don't need or want to pay, and wait, for a custom pack. It is built one at a time by me, to the same standard as my custom packs. The only difference is there are no custom options. no color choice, other than black. No custom fitting. Just like every other pack on market.
It's cut a little wider, and a little lower, than the New Day Rising. This makes loading the pack more convenient and keeps a normally loaded pack out of the way of your helmet.
These will be kept in stock. They ship within a week of ordering.
I have worked hard to also make this pack affordable, $235, while not the same price point as a mass-produced pack, it's totally approachable for those looking for a well-crafted pack that will last for years.
- 500 Denier Black Cordura with Spectra yarns (UHWMP) forming a grid to greatly enhance durability and tear strength. This is not the same 200D grid fabric you see on other backpacks. This is the same fabric I build Alpine Machines out of.
- double bottom and lower rim for durability.
- Weight 30 ounces
- volume 30-35 Liters.
- Bivy extension cut oversized to make packing easier, folds over the pack.
- fixed lid.
- dual daisy chains and tool sleeves.
- zippered bivy pad access.
- pocket on the underside of the lid with #8 YKK water-resistant zipper.
- webbing waist belt.
- Four back sizes to fit just about anyone.
- The XS & S are slightly shorter
- the lid strap helps to compress the pack when partially full.