The Alpine Machine Packs
Light and Tough. Just what you expect in pack designed for alpine climbing or multiple seasons of ice climbing. Like all the packs built at Alpine Luddites I expect this to hold up to 100's of days in use. The UHMWPE fabric is the toughest fabric, for its weight, I offer.
After you order a pack I'll contact you for your waist belt size and any customization. You can choose from all features: waist belt, harness size, bivy pad, frame sheet, alloy stays, crampon and ice tool attachment, webbing color and size, fitting issues, etc.You can see some of the most popular custom options here.
The Alpine packs differ from the White Light/ White Heat in several ways; They are all larger in volume. They have removable, fully padded hip belts. The bottom of the pack is contoured cut to fit better and work better with the padded hip belt. The White Light does not have load lifter straps.
The Alpine pack is available in 2 volumes; 40 &50 liters. features are identical throughout the range.
standard or custom sized back length
Construction: this pack is built with only two main seams that attach the two body panels together. There is no need worry about blown stitching either. all seams have multiple passes at 8 -10 stitches per inch. compare that to most mass produced gear. All seams are taped for durability. all webbing attachment points have 6-8 lines of stitching. I no longer use bartacks in the laminated fabrics. My experience has been they pull through over time as the fabrics are stiffer and become weakened by the bartack. All webbing stress points are fully reinforced with a second lay of webbing on the inside of the pack. look at the bottom of the photos for an interior shot.
- Volume options: 40 or 50 Liters . The bivy extension allows you to vary this by 5 -10 Liters. The lid ads 5 Liters to the volume, but its extra volume isn't included. IE a 40L pack is 40L without a lid.
- Two-pocket lid, one on the underside. Fully removable from any position. can be purchased later or if it gets trashed (unlikely)or lost...
- bivy extension is made out of 200D nylon. much more durable than sil coated ripstop. length is ~12".
- Weight-24-38 ounces depending on volume and features, but as each pack is tailored for each customer the weight can go up or down. please contact me to discuss this more.
- sizes: both stock and made to measure back length, waist belt and shoulder straps .custom sizing no charge.
- closed cell foam back pad,8mm thick, 9"x 40" or 18"x 20" so you can actually sleep on it. the shape is up to you. another option is 1/2" pad cut to back size.
- removable padded hipbelt.
- Ice tools & crampon patch reinforced with the 2nd layer of fabric. removable crampon straps.
- full strength front and rear haul loops. front loop is reinforced with a layer of 2" nylon webbing sewn onto the inside of the pack. Haul points are sewn on top of this to spread the stress out onto the entire front of the pack, not just into the stitching.
- traditional ladder lock buckles or side release buckles on the compression straps.your choice.
- shoulder straps have a fully adjustable sternum strap and lift straps. both removable.
- rope strap.
- 100% Dimension Polyant 5 layer UHMWPE laminated fabric or 500 D Cordura with UHMWPE heavy grid
How to order:place your order by choosing your choice of options from the menu. once your order is placed I will either email or set up a call, and we will go through all the details of size, volume, materials, colors, etc..