The Alpine Machine
Light and Tough. Just what you expect in a pack designed for expeditions, alpine climbing or multiple seasons of guiding. Like all the packs built at Alpine Luddites, I expect this to hold up to 100's of days in use. The Dimension Polyant DX40 fabric is the toughest fabric, for its weight, I offer.
After you order a pack I'll contact you for your waist belt size and any customization. You can choose from all features: waist belt, harness size, bivy pad, frame sheet, alloy stays, crampon and ice tool attachment, webbing color and size, fitting issues, etc. Some options such as a zippered front pocket, titanium stays or waterproof zipper access will add to the cost.
The 60 & 70 L packs differ from the Machine packs in several ways; They are all larger in volume. They have the option for a bigger removable, fully padded hip belts and shoulder straps, more appropriate for carrying big loads than pure climbing packs. the frame sheet and stays are standard.
Pack Volume & Unique Features:
60 & 70L, plus a tall bivy extension and floating lid. Guides overstuff these packs. The bivy extension comes with a roll top feature for use without the lid, or you can just close it up with it's drawcord. The rope strap secures gear with or without the lid. the lid straps are removable from the front of the pack. look at the pictures for details.
Included is a polyethylene frame sheet and a single, full-sized aluminum stay. The frame sheet is bound with 1" nylon webbing sewn around its edge to prevent it from wearing a hole in the pack. this unit weighs 12-14 ounces depending on size. fully removable. this is the only stock pack I offer with a frame. we can substitute titanium stays for aluminum to save weight. the Ti tubular stays weigh 2-3 ounces, aluminum stays 6-8 ounces. the cost for ti is $60 per stay. Some of my customers buying this pack for climbing at high altitude are going with single stay , but no frame sheet to save half a pound. We sort exactly how you want your pack set up, during our phone call, once you order the pack.
Since this is an expedition pack there are wand pockets for wands, pickets, tent poles, shovel handles. These can be left off. These pockets can be ordered to fit water bottles.
standard or custom sized back length
Construction: this pack is built with only two main seams that attach the two body panels together. There is no need worry about blown stitching either. all seams have multiple passes at 8 -10 stitches per inch. compare that to most mass produced gear. All seams are taped for durability. all webbing attachment points have 6-8 lines of stitching. I no longer use bartacks in the laminated fabrics. My experience has been they pull through over time as the fabrics are stiffer and become weakened by the bartack. All webbing stress points are fully reinforced with a second lay of webbing on the inside of the pack. look at the bottom of the photos for an interior shot.
- Two-pocket lid, one on the underside. Fully removable from any position. can be purchased later if it gets trashed (unlikely)or lost...
- bivy extension is made out of 200D nylon. sleeve length is 6" or 12".
- Weight-38-48 ounces depending on volume and features, but as each pack is tailored for each customer the weight can go up or down. Please contact me to discuss this more.
- sizes: both stock and made to measure back length, waist belt and shoulder straps.
- closed cell foam back pad,8mm thick, 9"x 40" or 18"x 20" so you can actually sleep on it. the shape is up to you. another option is 1/2" pad cut to back size.
- removable padded hipbelt.
- Ice tools & crampon patch reinforced with the 2nd layer of fabric . removable crampon straps.
- full strength front and rear haul loops. front loop is reinforced with a layer of 2" nylon webbing sewn onto the inside of the pack. Haul points are sewn on top of this to spread the stress out onto the entire front of the pack, not just into the stitching.
- traditional ladder lock buckles or side release buckles on the compression straps.your choice.
- shoulder straps have a fully adjustable sternum strap and lift straps. both removable.
- rope strap.
- UHMWPE Fabric : Dimension Polyant five layer Laminated DX40 fabric for best strength to weight and that NASA look in white. all reinforcements are also done in this fabric.